How often do you consume salmon? Do you know how to take off skin from salmon? What are the benefits of the salmon skin? These are some of the questions that may be difficult to some of us. Removing the skin is a personal preference. It is the same as potatoes, you can either remove the skin or not. So, the question here is, how to take skin off salmon. The following information will help us to learn more about the salmon skin.
The following are the steps that you can follow if you want to take off the skin from salmon.
How To Take Off Skin From Salmon Easily And The Benefits
How To Remove Skin From Salmon
Most people buy the skinned fillets. Although you can do this yourself. You can buy fillets or large pieces of salmon. Skin them before they are cut. The following steps will help you to remove the skin.
Use your fingertips to feel the tiny bone of the fillets. If they have the bones, remove them using the needle nose pliers.
At the edge of the counter, place your chopping board and put the fillet with the skin facing down. This will help you from scraping the knuckles.
Start from the tail until the knife is in between the skin and the flesh. If you have the large pieces of salmon, start from one corner and move through the entire piece.
Use your other hand and a paper towel to remove the skin. Pull the skin as you run the knife through the fillet in the opposite direction which you are pulling the skin. Ensure that the knife is angled towards the skin. You can use the sawing motion if possible.
The skin should come off in one piece. But if it cannot, flip it and trim off the remaining skin.
How To Skin Salmon Easily
The required tools
- Boning knife or utility knife
- Chopping board
- Salmon fillets
- On the chopping board, place the fillets with the skin facing down. The head end on the right and the left end on the left or the other way.
- If you have pieces of salmon fillets that have equal thickness, make a small cut to separate the skin from the flesh.
- Grip the flap and slide your boning knife in between the flesh and skin. The knife should be angled towards the chopping board. This will help you to leave less flesh on the skin.
- Ensure that you slide the knife carefully to the end.
- When the skin is removed, the fillets are ready for cooking. They can be cooked with many different Salmon recipes by Crock Pot including Salmon head.
The Benefits Of Salmon Skin
It has fats that contain omega 3. They help to prevent heart attacks. The skin will absorb the fats when cooking.
The skin will ensure that the flesh remains moisturized as you cook.
The fish can be cooked whole and then remove the skin before you serve. You can sear the skin to add texture to the dish.
Some people eat the fish while the skin is on. Here you don’t need any special preparation. Ensure that it is cooked well.
If you like eating the fish with skin on, the following are some of the ways that you can use to make it delicious.
- Searing on the pan. This will give the surface a crispy and fried texture. You can rub herbs and spices on the skin.
- Baking. You can bake the fish while the skin is on. This will ensure that the salmon is soft and tender.
- Grilling. If you grill the fish with the skin on, your salmon will be soft, tender, and crispy.
Reasons To Remove The Skin
There are other reasons why the skin should be removed. The skin may change the taste of the fish if it not prepared well. If it was caught from water that is contaminated, the skin will have toxins accumulated. Some of the pollutants include mercury, PCBs, and other harmful these substances. These substances are harmful to human health.
The farmed salmon may contain higher concentrations of toxins as compared to the wild caught fish.
If you want to consume the whole fish including the skin, ensure that is wild-caught. If you are not sure of the source, you can remove the skin easily. This will help you to avoid consuming large amounts of harmful chemicals, pollutants, and other harmful substances. You can look for the small salmon that have not lived for long. They have not been exposed to the harmful pollutants for long.
The skin salmon has both benefits and risks. The skin may contain harmful heavy metals, chemicals, and other substances. Some of them include mercury, PCBs, and dioxins. To avoid the toxins, you can choose the wild caught fish and avoid the farmed salmon. You may also wish to remove the skin from the salmon. The skin can be removed before or after cooking the salmon. Removing the skin of salmon remains a personal preference.
Have you ever removed the skin from salmon? Was it easy? Feel free to share your experience, question or comment in the comments section.
Now you can try to cook Salmon skin roll or Salmon patties by yourself.