5 Ways On How To Make Homemade Chips Easily
Do you know how to cook delicious chips? Do you love the homemade chips? Cooking the best chips has been my desire since I was young. The first day I tried to cook, they were not nice art all. They were crispy. This challenged me to find out on how to make homemade chips.
Most people love chips. They can be eaten as the main dish or with another dish, for example, chicken, or steak. Many of us may want to know various ways on how to cook homemade chips easily.
The following are some of the tips that can help you on how to make homemade chips perfectly without a hustle.
Before You Start Cooking, Consider The Following:
The Type Of Potatoes
The type of potatoes that you will use is very essential. People have different approaches and methods on the type of potatoes to use. But with the Maris pipers or King Edwards, you can’t go wrong. These potatoes have a fluffy texture on the inside. They also remain crispy on the outside. If you love large and chunky chips, then large potatoes are the best.
Type Of Oil To Use
This depends on your preference. Oils don’t have similar tastes. Sunseed and sunflower oil are very efficient and healthier. They contain higher levels of polyunsaturated fats. For those who love flavors, they can use rendered beef fat or lard. You can find any this from a butcher.
How To Fry
Heat the oil or fat to a higher temperature. Test this by the use of a piece of bread and see how fast it turns crispy and brown. If the oil is ready, the bread turns brown in less than a minute. If the chips are large, ensure that they are rinsed first to remove the outside starch.
Be careful when frying the chips. The pan fires may cause kitchen fire. Ensure that you don’t fill the pan with more than 1/3 of the oil. Your full attention must be on the cooking all through as you cook the chips.
It is up to you to season the chips. There are various flavors that can be used for seasoning. These can transform the final results and taste. You can use salt, garlic, rosemary, pepper, or chili. You can also combine any of these and enjoy the flavors.
The Following Are The Various Ways On How To Make Homemade Chips Easily.
1. The Perfect Chips
- 4 large Maris piper potatoes
- Sunflower oil
- Sea salt
- Chop the potatoes into finger like chips. Don’t peel them.
- Use a large sturdy pan on medium heat. The oil should be like 8 cm deep the pan. Use a raw chip if you don’t have a thermometer.
a sieve to lower the pieces into the pan. When they are soft and not colored, remove them. This should be around 140 degrees. metal
- Heat the oil again; lower the chips in. When they start floating and turn to golden, the oil should have reached 180 degrees. This is ideal for frying; it can give the chips the fluffy inside and the crispy outside.
- You can cook the chips in portions depending on the amount of chips you prepared. Don’t overcrowd the pan or lower the temperature.
- Fry the chips until they are golden brown.
- Put them in a bowl with kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.
- Season the chips with salt and any other seasoning that you may prefer.
- Serve them while they are hot and enjoy. This can be enough for three people.
2. The Chunky Oven Chips
- 2 Potatoes, probably the Desiree
- Groundnut oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Heat the oven to the highest.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into slices.
- Boil them for three minutes the drain them.
- Place the potatoes in the roasting pan and put some oil in them. Ensure that all the chips are coated nicely. Then, season them with salt or any other flavor that you may like.
- Bake for about 20 minutes; turn them at least thrice until they turn crisp and golden brown.
- You can add cayenne or paprika to the oil.
- The chips are delicious and easy to make.
3.The Best Chips
- 4 Maris piper potatoes
- Sunflower oil
- Sea salt
- Peel the potatoes and slice them into 1cm pieces. Cut them into thick chips.
- Rinse the chips in a colander using cold water. This will ensure that excess starch is removed.
- Dry them using a paper towel.
- Heat the oil in frying pan to 130C. Don’t leave the oil unattended. It can be dangerous.
- Lower the chips into the pan using a metal slotted spoon. Stir slowly and carefully. Fry until they cook but not browned.
- Remove them from the pan and set them aside and drain them using a kitchen paper. They can be left for some time.
- Reheat the oil to around 190 degrees. Put the chips back again with the slotted spoon. Cook for approximately 5 minutes. As they turn crisp and brown remove them from the pan.
- Drain them the excess oil using a kitchen paper.
- Put them in the serving dish and season with salt and vinegar.
- Serve while they are hot.
4. The Oven Chips
These are very delicious with low-fat. They can be made from potatoes or sweet potatoes. You may also combine the two. You can use any seasoning of your preference. The whole process may take approximately 40 minutes. For these, you can add herbs, pesto, garlic, or cheese.
- 1 kg Potatoes or sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- You can decide to peel the potatoes or not. Cut them into big chips.
- Place the chips in a large bowl with salted water. Boil them partially and drain them.
- Coat the chips with olive oil. Use your hands or wooden spoon until they are covered well.
- Add any other ingredient that you may wish. That is herbs, pepper, salt and many others that you may wish to add. What you add, mix well with all the chips.
- Put the chips in a baking dish. Spread them evenly. Don’t pile them on top of each other.
- Place then in a hot oven for 20 minutes. You can shake then after 10 minutes.
- Make sure they don’t overcook. As they turn light brown and start to get crunchy, remove them from the oven.
- Serve while they are hot.
5. Oven Roasted Chips
- 1.2kg Floury potatoes like Desiree, Maris piper or King Edward.
- Olive oil
- Heat the oven. After peeling the potatoes, cut them into long slices. The thickness is upon you.
- Rinse them with cold water and dry them with a kitchen towel.
- Place the chips in a baking dish. Add oil and celery salt. Spread them evenly. Don’t overcrowd.
- Put them in the oven for around 45 minutes. Remember to turn them.
- When they turn golden brown and fluffy on the inside remove them from the oven. Serve them while hot and enjoy.
The above are the various ways that you use to make homemade chips easily. Make sure you have all the required ingredients before you start cooking. Remember the choice of potatoes, oil, and salt is very important.
If you enjoyed the above information feel free to share with your friends. And if you have another unique but easy way to make homemade chips, please share in the comments section.
If you want the best oven to made delicious and healthy chips you can check the best countertop convection oven.