What Goes Well With French Onion Soup? You Need To Know This
Do you love the French onion soup? How can you make the onion soup that is delicious? What do you need? French soup is delicious when it is prepared and served nicely. The question is, what goes well with French onion soup? Before it is prepared, you should know the side dish. This will help you to serve easily without spending much time thinking about what you can serve with the soup.
What Is French Onion Soup?
This is made from beef stock or broth with cheese and onions. There are different ways that you can use to make this delicious French onion soup. You can add vegetables or use beef broth or stock with wine. Whichever way you make the soup, it will turn out to be delicious.
You can easily make the French onion soup at home easily. The soup can be more delicious than what is served in the restaurant. This can be enjoyed if it is paired with the right dishes.
How To Make The French Onion Soup
The Classic French Onion Soup
The recipe uses cheese and the caramelized onions. Ensure that the onions are browned well and tasty. This is the most important step in this recipe. Caramelizing the onions will take up to 50 minutes. The pot should be large and heavy. Stir the onions frequently. This will ensure that the onions are browned evenly and prevent burning. The granulated sugar will help in the process of caramelizing.
- In a 4-quart pot, melt the unsalted butter over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions and then season with pepper and salt.
- Lower the amount of heat and cover the onions using an aluminum foil and then cover the pot using a lid. Cook until the onions become soft.
- Uncover the pot and the onions and increase the heat.
- Add the granulated sugar and stir gently. Let the mixture cook as you stir. It should be brown after about 15 minutes.
- Make the baguette toasts in the preheated oven. The bread should be lightly brown and crisp. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Add the beef broth to the onions and boil. You can use medium high heat. Lower the heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- The bay leaf can be discarded as you season with salt and pepper to get the desired taste.
- Before you serve, put the croutes in bowls that are broiler-proof. Pour the hot soup over the croutes and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place them in the broiler for about 5 minutes. The tops should be brown and bubbly.
- Serve immediately to enjoy.
The Following Are Some Of The Foods That You Can Serve With The French Onion Soup.
The salads can pair well with this onion soup. You can add shredded cheese to the salad. You can also use some mustard to bind the vinegar and oil.
Sandwiches That Are Open-Faced
The sandwiches go well with the soup. The soup can be topped with your bread too. The soup also goes well with roast beef that is thinly sliced. This is because the soup is made from the beef broth. You can try the salty ham on bread or the tapenade of olive.
Crackers And Fruits
The soup can go well with the fruits and crackers. Serve it with apple and pear slices. The slices can be dipped in a mixture of lemon and water to prevent them from turning brown. Other fruits that you can use include the figs, grapes, and the strawberries. The crackers include the sesame seeded, rye, and the water options. You can easily make your own crackers by toasting the bread slices in the oven until the bread turns golden brown.
A good glass of wine and the soup can go well. Although this is counter-intuitive because they are all liquids. Ensure that you choose the best wine to pair with the soup. An ideal wine should be creamy and textured for a soup that is pureed. You can pair the soup with red wine if the soup is made from beef stock.
Instead of serving the soup with plain bread, you can serve with the quiche. It is gluten free and it is easier to make at home. You can adjust the ingredients to get the desired taste.
The above are some of the dishes that you can serve with the French onion soup. You can try any of them today and enjoy.
If you have a comment or question, please feel free to share in the comments section.
You can also learn what to serve with stuffed peppers.