The Best Dehydrator For Jerky On The Market
Do you want to enjoy fresh foods beyond their natural shelf life and still get the nutritious qualities found in a jerky? Add taste to your life by having the best dehydrator for jerky. Having a food dehydrator will help you save your money and avoid the highly-processed jerkies that are made in factories. Food dehydrators remove moisture in foodstuffs and also prevent pathogens and bacteria from spoiling the food.
Before you purchase a dehydrator, it’s important to know which model best fits you and also what is available on the market.
Some Of The Factors That You Can Consider
Vertical Versus Horizontal
Food dehydrators are either vertical or horizontal, the fan and heating element of a horizontal model are located at the back of the machine, and food goes in the slide-in shelf trays. This allows heated air to gently flow across the tray and produce uniform heat application ensuring that items dry out efficiently. They are also easy to use; you don’t need to put manual work once you start dehydrating. This makes them the best choice for making jerky and dehydrating meat.
Heat Distribution & Air Flow
Before you purchase a food dehydrator ensure that the heat will be distributed evenly for the food to be hydrated well and evenly. In most instances, some foods will be placed further from the heat source in the dehydrator than others so it’s important to make sure that the model is set up to have an effective airflow.
Stackable models have fans at the top or bottom usually result to uneven heating where rack levels exceed 10-12, this might force you to keep rotating racks regularly to avoid over-drying of foods. Invest in a model that will allow even heat and passage of air.
Ensure that the model you choose, you can be able to set and adjust the temperature easily. You should be able to maintain an even temperature when dehydrating. This is important because different foods require specific temperatures to dry without over doing it.
The process of dehydrating should be a simple task and there are a few features that can make the dehydration process easy for you. It should be able to dehydrate the food evenly. This will be convenient and time saving, since you don’t have to keep checking on your food when you are dehydrating.
Size And Capacity
It’s good to consider how much food you will be dehydrating in one batch. The amount of space that is available in your kitchen is also an important factor when purchasing a new appliance for your kitchen. Consider the amount of food that you will be dehydrating and the space that is available in your kitchen.
Purchase a model that you can expand the capacity to suit your needs, however, adding too many trays may affect the drying process since temperature may be higher at the top than at the bottom.
Most of the dehydrators are made from plastics. High-quality food dehydrators use FDA-approved materials with no BFA. The model should be tested to ensure that no plastic fumes are emitted at high temperatures.
Some models have special features that make them convenient to use and add them value and versatility. Some of the features include the timer, the filters, and the auto shut off. These are important features that you can also consider.
The Following Are Some Of The Best Dehydrators For Jerky On The Market That You Can Consider
This model is sleek and features marble color in its design and a top mounted fan, drying power of 700 watts. The dehydrator measures 13.8 by 22.1 by 13.9. It weighs 9 pounds making it smaller as compared to other dehydrators. It generates maximum speed for dehydrating, it also comes with two solid sheets, two mesh sheets and spice packets, you will also receive fruit roll sheets which can be used when drying other ingredients like spices
- It has a top-mounted fan of 700 watts of drying power that generates maximum speed and quality for dehydrating food.
- Has an adjustable thermostat ranging from 95 to 160 degrees F.
- It is designed in a way that flavors don’t mix
- No need for rotating trays
- It has an exterior that is made vita-save which is opaque. This blocks harmful lights that destroy nutritional content of food being dehydrated.
- This model dries food more evenly and faster
- You can increase or decrease the number of trays to suit your needs. Trays can be increased up to 12Hardly emits any noise
- One year warranty offered by manufacturers
- This model lacks a power button and requires one to connect the power wire to start the dehydrating procedure and you disconnect the wire after the process.
- It is not compatible with round-shaped stacking trays as compared to the rectangular trays.
- It has less base capacity and it’s advisable you use less food quantity.
- No timer and you have you have to be alert when dehydrating to avoid overheating the contents which can result in losing the nutrients in food.
- The model is low power efficient when used for a short period.
- The trays are not dishwasher safe.
The Excalibur dehydrator has 9 trays. The drying space is large enough to dry more food. It has a 26-hour timer and a thermostat that can be adjusted. The dimension is 19 by 17 by 12.5 inches. It weighs 22 pounds. The element for heating and the fan are located behind the dehydrator. This ensures that the cool air goes in. The is heated and distributed evenly through each tray. The patented parallax Horizontal Airflow helps food to dehydrate faster and more nutrients are retained without rotating the tray.
- It has quality temperature control which is necessary for dehydrating jerky.
- The model includes a power button with a 26-hour timer.
- The thermostat can be adjusted 105-165 degrees F.
- Has a 7-inch fan of 600 watts.
- The poly-screen tray insert is flexible to prevent odor.
- Ensures maximum preservation of food nutrition and enzymes as it has a Hyperwave fluctuation technology.
- Comes with a warranty of ten years
- It does not come with solid sheets for drying drippy foods or for making fruit leathers.
- It creates noise while functioning which can be extremely annoying and frustrating
- It is expensive than the food dehydrators which do not have a timer
- It is big for those kitchens that are not large or one with small cabinets.The controller is at the back making it less convenient.
This dehydrator has 9 trays for drying and a leather tray for fruits. The window is transparent. You can easily control the temperature. It comes with a recipe book. It is easier and simple to dry your foods. It is ideal for the homemade jerky, vegetables, fruits, and others. It is multipurpose.
You can easily slice the food before it is dehydrated. The circulator fan ensures that dehydration is even with the best results. Temperature has 8 preset settings. It ranges from 95-158 degrees. The shelves are adjustable for maximum airflow for better results.
- It has 9 trays for convenience. You can dehydrate a variety of foods at once.
- The temperature can be controlled easily. This will ensure that you are able to dry the food easily.
- The window is transparent. You can easily monitor the food as it dehydrates.
- The dehydrator is ETL certified. This means that it is safe, efficient and of high quality.
- It comes with a cookbook that will help you to make delicious foods with the dehydrator.
- It also comes with a manual that will guide you on how to use the dehydrator easily.
- It is very large. It may take much of your counter space.
- It has preset temperatures to choose from. If you have a recipe calling for different temperature setting, it will be hard to use it.
- The drying process is slow as compared to other dehydrators.
It has an expandable four-tray that can go up to 8 trays. It weighs 7.2 pounds making it portable even when you travel by air. It measures 14.5 by 15 by 6.2 inches. The model also has storage of the power cord at the base. It also has a transparent lid made of strong polycarbonate that one can monitor the foods inside without opening the lid. It is 600- watt stackable food dryer with vertical Airflow system that allows uniform drying of dehydrated food.
- Suitable for jerky since the lower tray possess maximum heat of the machine
- Easy to use and store
- Portable and easy to maintain
- Has four drying trays which can be expanded up to eight trays for added drying capacities.
- No need for tray rotation. This is because the fan at the bottom and heating element ensures that the airflow is consistent and the drying process is optimum
- Dehydration maintains natural vitamins and minerals with no additives
- It has a transparent cover on top of the tray that allows you to monitor the food drying process
- The cover and drying trays are dishwasher safe
- The dehydrator operates at a temperature of approximately 165 degrees.
- This Presto 06300 doesn’t come with a Timer and a Thermostat.
- Makes a lot of noise
- Low capacity with the four supplied trays
- The trays are not made from quality material
This dehydrator will help you to enjoy healthy food at home without any preservatives or additives. It has 6 spacious racks for drying. The digital timer and temperature controls make it easier and simple to use. The dehydrator has an automatic shutoff. The drying process is even. It ranges from 95-158 degrees F.
It is ideal for drying delicious beef jerky, fruit slices, herbs and other foods. It gives you an economical way to preserve your food. It has a rear mounted fan that promotes drying that is even with optimal airflow. There is no overheating during the drying process. The thermostat is adjustable and the shutoff is automatic. The timer will ensure that the food is dehydrated at an optimal temperature with crispiness.
- It is ideal for dying a variety of fruits, vegetables, herbs, and meats. You can make meat jerky that is delicious, dried sweet potato sticks, and banana chips.
- It can be used by large families, sportsmen, gardeners, those who are health conscious, and outdoor hobbyists.
- It has an adjustable thermostat. It has 8 temperature levels ranging from 95-158 degrees F.
- You can easily dry small foods like herbs. This is because it has a nonstick fine-mesh for drying.
- It has an overheating protection for safety.
- The solid sheet helps to make fruit roll ups.
- The 6 racks are removable and their height can be adjusted.
- The drip tray will collect the residues drying the drying process.
- The drying process is even. This is because it has a rear mounted fan and the distributed air flow.
- It does not dry the food evenly.
- It may take longer than other dehydrator models.
- It may produce some noise but it is not so loud.
The Best Jerky Dehydrator Is...
The best dehydrator for jerky is the Nesco FD-75A Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator, white as it has a top mounted fan, a thermostat that ranges from 95-165 degrees. You do not have to keep rotating trays and comes with an opaque exterior that blocks harmful lights. It is quiet during the dehydrating process. You can increase or decrease the number of trays to suit your needs. The flavors cannot mix at all.
You can also learn how to freeze lunch meat.