How To Choose The Best Potato Masher For Tasty And Delicious Dishes?
Last year, I got an email from one of my blog readers Maryanne. She requested me to help her choose the Best Potato Masher on the market today. I didn’t have any particular Potato Masher in mind so I promised her that I would research on these products and get back to her.
Since then, several other blog readers have been sending the same requests. This is the reason I compiled this article to help anyone out there to find and choose the Best Potato Masher on the market.
Actually, this is not an ordinary article but a comprehensive guide with everything you need to know about Potato Mashers, benefits of using a Potato Masher, factors to consider when purchasing Potato Mashers and reviews for the Best Potato Mashers you can consider purchasing in 2017. Read on to learn more.
What Is A Potato Masher?
Sometimes people mistake Potato Masher for potato slicer. These two kitchen appliances are not the same. They are different items for different functions. As the name suggest, a Potato Masher is used to crush potatoes, fruits, vegetables, refried beans and other soft foods into a smooth fluffy mash.
On the other hand, a potato slicer is used to cut potatoes into small slices especially when you want to make delicious chips for your family. These two kitchen utensils are commonly used in home kitchens but you can also find them in commercial kitchens.
How A Potato Masher Works (Video)
If you haven’t used Potato Mashers before, this YouTube video can help you get a rough idea of how they work.
Benefits Of Using A Potato Masher
If you don’t have a Potato Masher in your kitchen, you can use a fork to mash your cooked potatoes. However, this traditional method of mashing potatoes is tiresome and does not produce the best results. So below are some of the advantages of using a potato masher over traditional methods.
- This Potato Masher can help you achieve smooth and fluffy mash from your potatoes.
- You can save time if you allow a Potato Masher do the work.
- The process of mashing potatoes using a Potato Masher is effortless.
- With a Potato Masher in your kitchen, you can prepare various dishes such as chopped walnuts, hummus, and even egg salad.
- Besides mashing potatoes, a potato slicer can also mash fruits, soft vegetables, and other soft foods.
Factors To Consider When Choosing The Best Potato Masher
There are tons of Potato Mashers on the market, each with a different design, features, and most importantly price. Choosing the best product for your kitchen can be a challenge if you are a first-time buyer. To ease the buying process, here are factors to consider.
You need to factor in how much you are willing to invest in a Potato Masher. If you are planning to mash a couple of foods for your family, you can go for a less expensive product. If you will be mashing large quantities of food in a day, it is recommended you go for a more advanced product which normally comes with a big price tag.
Look at the handle before purchase. The Best Potato Masher should have a sturdy and comfortable handle which provide a secure grip. Also, consider the material the handle is made of before purchase. Handles made of metal are known to last long but they can slip from your hand when wet or become uncomfortable while in use. The best handles are therefore ones made of silicone or non-slip rubber.
You also need to factor in the size when buying a Potato Masher. If you will be mashing large quantities of food in a day, it is recommended you go for bigger models. You can also purchase a small model if you will be having enough time to cut your potatoes into small pieces before mashing them.
4. Mashing Plate
You also need to consider the type of mashing plate on a Potato Masher before purchase. Basically, the two types of mashing plates you can consider are wave-style and perforated plates. I like potato mashers with perforated mashing plates because they are easier to use and creates smoother potatoes.
5. Overall Construction
Look at the overall construction of a Potato Masher before purchase. A Potato Masher with a weak construction tends to bend easily while in use. Again on the construction, you need to consider mashers made of high-quality stainless steel as they are corrosion and rust free.
It is important to keep your kitchen clean, neat and well organized. If this is your goal, then you need to pick a product that won’t give you problems as far as storage is concerned. Pick a Potato Masher with a hanging hole to enable you to store it on the kitchen rail.
You need to invest your money in a dishwasher-safe Potato Masher for easier cleaning. Also, you need to be careful not to pick a cheaply constructed product even if it is dishwasher safe as it can get damaged when thrown in a dishwasher.
My Top 5 Recommendations
In this section, I have reviewed 5 Best Potato Mashers you can consider buying in 2017. These are products with several positive reviews and which have been rated highly on Amazon. Just read on to find out which products made into this list.
If you are looking for a three-in-one product for mashing, slicing and making fruit juice, then the Chef Potato Masher and Ricer might be worth considering. This kitchen utensil can help you slice potatoes, create smooth and fluffy mash from potatoes or make fruit juice with less effort.
An ergonomically designed and comfortably cushioned body makes this product a top choice for people with arthritis. For convenience and comfort, PriorityChef is designed in a way that prevents your hands from getting tired or sores while using it.
Another appealing feature of this Potato Masher is the long anti-slip handles for easier leverage. With this handle, you can mash or slice your foods without worry of getting tired, getting sores or the product slipping out of your hand.
- Produces perfectly fluffy and smooth mash from potatoes with less effort.
- Can be used by people with arthritis.
- You won’t get tired or sores while using this Potato Masher.
- You can use it to mash a variety of foods such as potatoes, carrots, veggies, fruits and even baby foods.
- Long anti-slip handles for comfortable and secure grip.
- Multi-function product for mashing, slicing and making fruit juice.
- It’s easy to use and easy to clean!
- Made of high-quality 100% rust-proof material.
- Takes time to remove potato peelings from the Potato Masher.
- The products get hot when loaded with hot foods.
If you are looking for a Potato Masher that can help you mash potatoes, fruits, and vegetables, the KUKPO Stainless Steel Potato Masher is another product to consider. This potato masher features a simple style but an innovative design. Its strong grip handle and broad mashing plate allow you to mash your favorite foods under gentle pressure and without applying much effort.
Unlike traditional mashers which are designed with vertical grips, KUKPO Potato Masher features a broad horizontal grip which makes it easier to use. All you need is to apply simple pressure on the handle and you are ready to go.
The solid rubber handle and stainless steel mashing plate are easy to clean under mildly hot water or any tap water. It is small in size so you can take it with you wherever you want to go.
- Comes with a horizontal grip which mashes potatoes without applying much effort.
- The masher is dishwasher-safe so it is easy to clean.
- Comes with a secure rubber grip.
- Designed from rust-resistant stainless steel.
- Features a comfortable and durable handle which offers a secure grip.
- Sharp edges so you need to be careful when using this product.
- More pressure makes the handles to bend.
JAMIE OLIVER Potato Masher is another product that you might consider purchasing for your kitchen. Designed with large outer holes and small inner holes, this Potato Masher can help you mash your potatoes easily and perfectly without leaving any lumps.
The masher is made of brushed stainless steel so you don’t need to worry about rusting or corrosion. It also features a soft-grip handle which provides a secure grip and comfortable mashing experience.
Another appealing feature of this model is an integrated silicon bowl scraper which allows you to extract anything you mash from the mashing bowl without wastage.
- Larger outer holes and small inner holes for faster mashing without leaving any lumps.
- Comes with bowl scraper which reduces wastage.
- Made of brushed stainless steel so the product is rust and corrosive resistant.
- Small size so you can use it with any pan.
- Masher is dishwasher-safe so you won’t find any problem cleaning it.
- 11-inch long hanging hook for easier storage.
- Comes with perforated mashing plate for perfect mashing results.
- Small in size so it might not be ideal for mashing large quantity foods.
- The scraper gets trapped with mashed foods.
If you are looking for a 2-in-1 Potato Masher on the market today, the World’s Greatest Masher might be worth considering. This potato masher mixes ingredients and mashes fruits, potatoes, vegetables and softer foods easily without any hassle.
Made from 18/8 stainless steel, this Potato Masher is not only sturdy and durable but also corrosion and rust resistant. Once you purchase this product, you can use it for several years without thinking of a replacement.
When it comes to usage, this 2-in-1 Potato Masher is one of the easiest to use. All you need is to press wires into cooked food gently until you achieve your desired consistency.
- Multifunction product for mixing and mashing.
- Works with a variety of foods such as potatoes, pumpkin, yams, rutabagas, bananas, apples, carrots, turnips and more.
- Easy and convenient to use compared to other models.
- Dishwasher safe for easy cleaning.
- Small in size so it fits in any cooking pan.
- The handle can get slippery when wet.
As stated easier, you need to choose a Potato Masher with a comfortable handle. One of my favorite models with the best handle you might consider purchasing is the OXO Good Grips Potato Masher. This potato comes with a cushioned handled which reduces the pressure on your hands. You can use this product without any worry of getting tired, getting sores or the product slipping from your hand.
The product comes with a stainless-steel wire head which is strong enough to handle a variety of mashing tasks. This masher works well with potatoes, bananas, apples, carrots as well as yams.
- Great for mashing a variety of foods such as potatoes, fruit and root vegetables.
- Cushioned handle that absorbs pressure for comfortable mashing experience.
- Sturdy stainless steel wire head which is strong enough to mash a variety of foods.
- Comes with a large handle opening for easy hanging.
- Safe to use in dishwasher
- Small in size of it is easier to store or use in any pan.
- The gap between the wire head is big so you may take long to get desired results.
- The handle flexes too much while you are using the product.
The Best Potato Masher Is:
After careful consideration, the Potato Masher that appeals to me most is the PriorityChef Potato Masher and Slicer. I like this product due to the fact that it is a three-in-one kitchen utensil you can use for mashing, slicing and making fruit juice. This Potato Masher also has all the features you will need to create smooth and fluffy mash from potatoes and other food products.
Some of the appealing features that make this potato stand out from the rest include an ergonomically designed and comfortably cushioned body which makes this product a top choice for people with arthritis. Others features include a long anti-slip handle, easy to use, easy to clean, high-quality rust-proof material and ability to use it on a variety of foods without getting tired or sores.
This is my response so far for those seeking recommendations for the Best Potato Mashers. If you have found this article informative and helpful, don’t forget to share it with your loved ones. If you have any question about potato mashers in general, also feel free to ask below.